- Age 7 and Older
- High-Risk Breed
Cancer was not suspected by the veterinarian, however Sasha exhibited some decreased appetite and ~3 lbs of weight loss over the past year.
Why OncoK9 Was Performed
Sasha had no signs of cancer but was over age 7 and belonged to a breed known to be at higher risk of cancer. OncoK9 was performed as part of her wellness and preventive care evaluation.
- A Cancer Signal Detected result significantly increases the likelihood that cancer is present, but does not confirm the presence of cancer. This result should not be used as the sole basis for making important decisions such as treatment or euthanasia.
- A confirmatory cancer evaluation should be performed to establish a definitive diagnosis.
Due to a Cancer Signal Detected OncoK9 result, a Confirmatory Cancer Evaluation was performed.
Confirmatory Cancer Evaluation
May include any or all of the following:
- Thorough clinical history
- Thorough physical exam
- Including oral and rectal exam
- CBC and Chemistry
- Thoracic radiographs – 3 views
- Abdominal imaging – ultrasound preferred
- Radiographs of localized areas of bone or joint pain, if present
- Tissue sampling of any detected masses or enlarged lymph nodes for pathological analysis
In some cases, advanced imaging (such as CT and/or MRI) may be indicated.
Cancer Workup & Findings
Presumptive diagnosis: Heart base tumor
Thoracic ultrasound identified 2.5 x 4.5 cm heart base tumor
Anatomic location impossible to access for biopsy
Thoracic ultrasound demonstrating 2.5 x 4.5 cm hypoechoic mass at the base of the heart
OncoK9 prompted a workup that led to the presumptive diagnosis of cancer prior to the development of clinical signs.
OncoK9 assisted in the preclinical detection of cancer, which gave the owner time to consult with a specialist and make treatment decisions for her dog.
Initiation of a monitoring and treatment plan prior to the onset of clinical signs may lead to improved outcomes in managing Sasha’s cancer.
- 12yo FS Boxer with mild decreased appetite and weight loss
- OncoK9: Cancer Signal Detected
- Confirmatory Cancer Evaluation recommended
- Workup revealed a heart base tumor
- Anatomic location was impossible to access, but the OncoK9 and imaging results lead to a presumptive diagnosis of cancer
- Owner is pursuing an oncology consultation